Reflections on a Life

Reflections on a Life

Tuesday, January 23, 2018

Love Never Fails

I Corinthians 4-8  Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. It does not dishonor others, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres. Love never fails. 

I’ve been thinking an awful lot about love lately.  Partly because that’s what I think about a lot, anyway.  But mostly because of the contentiousness that is in the air and has been for months.  

And, I guess to be frank, I’ve been noticing and feeling a lot more of the opposite of love.  It looks and sounds like hate, but I think it’s really just fear in disguise.  

Fear of change.  Fear of things and people that are different than we are.  Fear of losing a way of living, working, playing and even worshiping. Fear of what might happen with the coming new year, whether close to home or reaching out to the country and the world.  

it’s really easy to be afraid.

And then today during a service dedicated to love and the inevitable loss that comes with life, I’m reminded of the beautiful words that talk about what love is.  And isn’t.  And I’m called to remember that my faith statement is just this simple.  I believe in love. 

Because Love Never Fails.    

Published for God in the Life of Our Members, Pine Ridge Presbyterian Church, November 2016

No comments:

Post a Comment