Reflections on a Life

Reflections on a Life

Tuesday, January 23, 2018

Being the Prayer

We do not know how to pray as we should. But the Spirit himself speaks to God for us, even begs God for us. The Spirit speaks to God with deep feelings that words cannot explain.          Romans 8:26

I’m reading Why Not Be a Mystic? and love it because the chapters are short and sweet and make me stop and think deeply about what has been said.  Sometimes I write comments and questions in the margins that I want to discuss with my small group, The Mystics.  Occasionally my soul does a happy dance about something that I read that just thrills me.

When this scripture was tied to the thought that prayers don’t need to be ‘laundry lists’ of names and events and needs and hopes and that the best prayers are little more than simply being present with God, in every breath, and allowing the Spirit to pray in me, I was rocked!  What a relief!

There are so many things that are in my heart regarding the people I love and the world we live in.  I worried I was leaving someone or something out.  What a blessing to know God hears my petitions with every beat of my heart, with every breath I take no matter where I am. We are a living prayer.


Published in God in the Life of Our Members, Pine Ridge Presbyterian Church, September 2017

No comments:

Post a Comment