Reflections on a Life

Reflections on a Life

Tuesday, January 23, 2018

The Light of the World

When Jesus spoke again to the people, he said, "I am the light of the world. Whoever follows me will never walk in darkness, but will have the light of life.” - John 8:12

I love Christmas.  I love the music and the decorations and the food and the general sense of joy and hope that  surrounds everything and everyone.  It’s the lights that I think I love the most.  

All year long I see traffic lights and street lights and the headlights and tail lights of cars.  But when fall turns into winter, those lights magically look like Christmas to me.  And the last things I want to take down  when the season is ‘over’  are those lights.  

And the real beauty of those lights is that they never go out.  They might not be lighting The Plaza or my home or my tree, and the traffic lights might start looking like normal cars again, but they stay lit in the world… and in my heart.  

Because the birth and the life…. and the death… of the man who is the reason for those lights have changed the world - and my heart - forever.  And, I pray, that even when things appear dark,  I remember to follow the Light of the World.

Thank you, baby Jesus.  


Published in God in the Life of Our Members, Pine Ridge Presbyterian Church, January 2018

No comments:

Post a Comment