Reflections on a Life

Reflections on a Life

Tuesday, January 23, 2018

Speaking Truth in Love

Speak the truth in love.  Ephesians 4:3

To speak my truth with courage, wisdom and love has been my personal prayer for years.  I always considered it a sneaky ‘two-fer’ prayer because in order to SPEAK my truth, it was necessary for me to KNOW my truth.  

It sounds like such a simple thing; knowing my truth.  I was raised by my parents, church and school to respect the rules and traditions of my family, community, church and country.  I crossed my heart and pledged my allegiance to those lessons.

As I grew I began to question some of those teachings.  Were some of them misinformed or flawed?  Or maybe just wrong?!  Just as I was taught that kindness and respect were keys to a happy life, I was taught to fear the unknown and avoid risk. I’m still sorting through my lessons on love and relationships.

I recently read something that has been helping me with this life-long quest for truth.  ‘Say your truth - kindly, but fully and completely.  Live your truth, gently but totally and consistently.  Change your truth easily and quickly when your experience brings you new clarity.’

And so, Ruth continues to learn.  And pray.  And grow.

Published as God in the Life of Our Members for Pine Ridge Presbyterian Church, March 2015

No comments:

Post a Comment