Reflections on a Life

Reflections on a Life

Tuesday, January 23, 2018

Everything Fits

To everything there is a season, and a time to every purpose under heaven.  Ecclesiastes 3:1 (KJV)

I suppose in every time since the beginning people have wondered ‘what is this world coming to’?  In the turning of these last 4 seasons - I have buried a brother, uprooted a mother, closed down a home, wept for a baby born with little chance of survival, prayed with a friend dealing with cancer, and watched as the world appears to be imploding with violence as a result of ages-old hatred.  Living hurts.

I have also celebrated a son living his dream, hiked to the bottom of the Grand Canyon living mine, spent a year closer to my mom than I have been in 40, laughed until my stomach hurt with friends, sung and danced with little ones at VBS, and held that precious baby who seems to be beating the odds.  Life is wonderful!

My mentor reminds me constantly that ‘everything fits’, which sounds harsh in the face of sorrow.  She also reminds me to ask ‘what am I contributing?’ in any given situation.  And I am reminded that there is a reason, a season and a time for everything.  May my contribution in everything be loving.


Published for God in the Life of Our Members, Pine Ridge Presbyterian Church, July 2014

No comments:

Post a Comment